Monday 24 October 2011

A Little Gravy With That There "Turkey"?

I am so "off" my game this morning, it isn't funny !  Right off the bat I had to deal with a little someone, mentioning no names, Mercedes, playing shuffle board with her food dish in the kitchen.  Then it was on to receiving the "fantastic" news that I am now a Great Great Auntie to Baby Girl, "Dega Marie Elizabeth", also my sister, Jeanne's first Great Granddaughter, then onto a phone call with my son, Paul .......

"Try to convince a "puppy", or "child" for that matter, "I have things to do, so now it is time for you to settle down while I get what I have to do done"   ..... certainly never as easy as it sounds, is it?  LOL."


Mercedes has finally settled down.  I can finally begin with my "yesterday" ....

" ..... so it began with another early dawning day far off in the East with a heavy bed of frost laying upon the ground."



The frost was so heavy, any tomatoes I had thoughts of retrieving from the garden have been now banished as the frost has made claim to the point where they will now be banished back into the ground, into a state of mush, where they first came.  I only hope now with all the rain we have had the past week or so, the potatoes have not gone to "rot", and can still be reaped.  We will see once we ever get some dry weather if ever again before the snow decides to fly.  *Sigh* hopefully .....

We had a Turkey Dinner with all the trimmings yesterday, so there was lots of preparation in the morning to get things ready, from peeling potatoes & turnip, preparing stuffing for the turkey, setting the table, and the list goes on and on ....

"I even "busted" out the good China Teacups from out of their dusty shroud in the China Cabinet, cleaning them up to make "presentable" for an after dinner "spot of tea"."


I am very proud of my teacups I had been gifted each Christmas from my Great Aunt Lizzie Groh.  She was a "legend" in her own time in the Masterson family, with many good thoughts of her coming to my mind now and again time after time.  The year Aunt Lizzie celebrated her 90th Birthday was the year my youngest son, Paul, was born. I display the picture of her & him, being the oldest & the youngest family members at the time, with great pride in our living room.

In-between all the morning preparations, there were of course many "outings" with Mercedes out and about outside the house.

"I found it amazing on how well the Roses at the western side of our house did so well after such a heavy frost.  Absolutely still beautiful in their state of being at that moment."



I did manage to find one almost still perfect Rose to be placed on the center of the dining room table.  How fortunate was I ?

Just shortly after 2:00 p.m. our company had arrived, giving us yet a couple of hours time to visit before the "feast".

"How fortunate are we to have such a talented Auntie Gladys who makes the "best Homemade Carrot Cake" in the whole of Bruce County !"



"Finally the second "Main Attraction", after the cake of course, was ready!"


"The dinner table ready to go just waiting for its participants ..... um Rob, I just noticed in this picture you made "claim" to some pretty crisp looking turkey skin there on your plate."


"Rob not only made claim to crisp turkey skin, but to the whole darn Carrot Cake as well !!!  That Auntie has him pretty "spoiled" I would say."



"Here they are, my Uncle Basil, Auntie Gladys and Auntie Pearlina .... I am sure happy with Rob now, only since he had decided to "share" the cake with them."



I suspect we all left the table with a "fullness" in our bellies this day, as I know I most certainly had.  It was nice to have an early dinner, since it gets dark by 7:00 p.m. now, with it being much easier for people to take their leave for home when it is still a bit light outside.  This will not be the case much longer though with the Clocks going back soon.

After the Uncle and the Aunts had taken their leave back to their respective homes in Southampton and Port Elgin, Rob and I called it an early night here as it had been a long day for us with the "Crabby Cabbie" not arriving home until the "wee" hours of that morn, and me being up since the "wee" hours .... lol, what a pair we make.

I know for a fact it was raining earlier this morning when I had Mercedes out, and by the sounds of it now outside the window, it is "pouring" down "cats & dogs".  I suppose I will see what the Wiarton Weatherman guy has to say about the rest of the day ....


Oh man, I don't think those potatoes are ever going to be dug up by the looks of this forecast !!!

My "Crabby Cabbie" has a day off today, so I am sure there will be some kind of adventure awaiting me in my day ahead, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

1 comment:

  1. that turkey looks really good. I should have bought some when they were on sale earlier in the month. Wouldn't mind a piece of that carrot cake either, if you are heading down my way!!

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...