Thursday 23 June 2011

VON Caregiver Educations & Information Series ~ Session 2 & 3

For some odd reason yesterday, Blogger.com's "insert image" was not working, and I was unable to show off the prize winning pie I had made Tuesday.  It is working today and here it is !

"1st Prize goes to, Ms. Cindy Masterson-Roth for her Prize Winning Lemon Meringue Pie, which 3/4's of it was consumed by her husband Rob within 24 hours of  it being made !"



LOL, and let me tell you I was lucky I got two pieces, let alone one, as this is Rob's most favorite kind of pie.  Thanks to my niece, Joanne, for somehow providing Rob with this 1st Prize Ribbon while visiting this past Sunday, lol.

I had a very busy day yesterday by the time I went to my Dentist to have a chipped tooth filled, getting back home for only 1/2 hour only to go back out to attend the VON's Caregiver Education & Information Series.

Before I touch down on some of, what I found to be, highlights of the Caregiver Education & Information Series~ Sessions 2 & 3, I would like to provide a very important link that is packed with information and tools for the Caregiver.  This link is not only for the caregiver providing care to an elderly parent, but for any person providing care for many types of different health conditions. 

http://www.von.ca/en/caregiver-connect/home/default.aspx

I was reinforced with the statement, "Knowledge is the Best Medication".  How true is that statement ?

The Caregiver Education & Information Series

Session #2 dealt with "Gaining a Sense of Control" :

By the end of this session you should be able to:

~ State one situation this week where you will able to practice taking control;
~ Call on one person for some help;
~ Name one situation that turned out better then expected.

Session # 3 dealt with "Tackling Emotions" :

~  There are no right or wrong emotions, they just are;
~  They exist and need to be acknowledged;
~  Just as we sense our world around us when we touch something, we feel emotions in response to our
    environment and surroundings.

We also learned how to make Guilt Muffins.

Recipe for Guilt Muffins

1.  Grab a large mixing bowl & wooden spoon;
2.  Add 1 cup of cow's cream;
3.  Sprinkle heavily with Self-Esteem;
4.  Drop in large amounts of Felt guilt;
5.  Beat ingredients like _____ !!!!!!
6.  Roll out 3 or 4 balls of the dough, squeezing very hard;
7.  Shape each ball creatively;
8.  Toss into the air or wherever you desire;
9.  Congratulate yourself by saying, "I regret my action but I will toss this guilt muffin away & get on   
     with life.";
10.Repeat this until all of your guilt muffins are tossed.

At the end of the day, each of us that were in attendance were given a miniature rose bush:



I found these sessions to be very helpful and knowledgeable, however what I found I gained the most was the compassion and non-judging mannerism I was treated with by the VON staff, as well as the other fellow caregivers in attendance.  Once again, thank you VON (Victorian Order of Nurses).

I look forward to attending the final Caregiver Education & Information Series final session next Wednesday.  Remember "Knowledge is the Best Medication".

I don't know about the rest of Bruce County, but we certainly had one wicked storm go by our place twice last night.  High winds and pelting rain.  I was surprised the Hydro didn't go out it was that bad.

"After the 1st downpour around 8:00 p.m."


"After the 2nd downpour around 9:00 p.m.."


I know there is glare on the second picture from it being taken through our bedroom window, however it was still raining, so I wasn't about to venture out there into it.

The weather report for the day ahead, provided by our very own local Wiarton Airport is:

Today:

Showers. Risk of a thunderstorm this afternoon. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this afternoon. High 18. UV index 3 or moderate.

Tonight:

Showers. Risk of a thunderstorm this evening. Low 14.


There you go folks, another balmy summer day with the usual Risk of Thunderstorms looming over it.  I have to admit it is nice the garden and newly planted Yuccas have gotten a good soaking, but enough with the rain already!  Moderation is suppose to be good for all aspects of our lifestyles, so could we have it mixed up a little bit please......

Rob, Bandit and Lexus will be on their own again today, as I have to head into the big City of Owen Sound for my annual Mammogram.  As much as I hate having this procedure done, I am grateful there is such a procedure, as it has saved lives, my own Mother`s five years ago when one detected she had an aggressive breast cancer tumor.  So I will button my lip and have done what I know will be a benefit to me.

I am going to take advantage of my trip into Owen Sound by stopping in at a couple of the big box stores, like No Frills and Giant Tiger, to pick up a few items that are at a lesser ticket price then at our own local Foodland store.  With the rising prices of fuel and food, we need to take advantage of any savings we are able to now a days.

I have things to do before I take leave for my scheduled appointment, so here I go, once again, off and running, ``Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard``.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...