Thursday 16 June 2011

Beware Pre-Summer Head Colds Are Here !

Poor Rob he is sick with runny eyes, head full of who knows what, snuffly nose, sore throat and headaches.  Rob has been hit with the "Common Cold".  I also just spoke to my son, Paul, 15 minutes ago, and by the sounds of it he is on his way to  getting the cold too.  Talking to my brother, Al, last night was the same thing.....cold !

Darn, darn, double darn....I have been kissing that "Crabby Cabbie", and had a "few" hugs from my brother this week......will I be coming down with the "Common Cold" too!!!  Talking to Paul on the phone....I hope I don't get it from him.  LOL, "germ-a-phone" .

How unpleasant and unfair for the weather to start becoming nice and warm, only to be miserable with the "Common Cold".  I suppose I will just have to whip up a pot full of  "Big Batch Chicken Soup" should I need to.

I did not manage to go out for a walk yesterday, as I found myself being too busy with lots of laundry and phone calls.  The VON Caregiver Education Series was cancelled until next Wednesday, so I thought I would go visit my girlfriend, Colleen, and steal some rhubarb from her patch.  I didn't have to steal it, as she had no problem sharing with me....sharing is part of being best friends, as we all know.

"Thanks girlfriend, I got 8 cups chopped up out of this lot".



I was talking to my Cousin Vi yesterday, and she was making a Rhubarb Pie recipe from our Family Reunion Cookbook.  This would have been her second time to try it, since it was enjoyed the first time around.

Rhubarb Pie (9" Pie)

4 cups cubed rhubarb
1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup flour mixed; add 1 cup sour cream to mixture, as well as a few strawberries if so desired.  Put raw rhubarb in pan; pour sour cream mixture over. 

Top with:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter

Bake at 400* F for 15 minutes, and decrease oven to 350* baking for a further 30 minutes more.

Recipe From the Kitchen of Gladys Eby.

I am assuming when you are to put the raw rhubarb into the pan it is a pie crust lined pan. 

Since we have company coming to our place tomorrow, to go along with us to the Annual Chi-Cheemaun Festival this Saturday, I will have to find out if this is the kind of pie Vicki would like me make & bake for her.  Since Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is one of her "most" favorite, she was drooling when I had posted the pie I had baked last weekend, so.....I did promise I would make her one when she next came up (lol, didn't realize it was going to be so soon, but I am happy it is).

I had better make sure the battery is charged up on my camera, as there is going to be lots of pictures to be taken this weekend of friends, family, visiting dogs, motorcycles, events, maybe even one or two of the "Crabby Cabbie"?

The one phone call I made yesterday was to the "main contact" family member, Julie, (lol) of the family  who were adopted by the "One & Only" puppy. 

"Who could resist being adopted by such an innocent face, as this?"


I am pleased to report the "One & Only" has now been anointed with the new name of "Buddy"!  I am tickled pink, as when I wasn't calling him Puppy, I had been calling him "Buddy".  What were the chances of this happening !

Buddy has captured the hearts of his new family.  His first night he slept all night with only a 10 minute whimper, he has not soiled inside his new home, he has made a 3 km trek into town and back without a hitch, he loves his new "kid" Jack, as well as his new "pot-bellied pig".  Wow can you imagine how lucky Buddy is to have not only a new kid, but his own personal pot-bellied pig as well!  Way to go Buddy, you have hit the Jackpot !

You can well imagine how thrilled I am to hear back on how one, or any, of the Magnificent Seven are doing in their new lives out in the World.  Julie has promised to send me pictures and updates from time to time, so rest assured I will be sharing same with everyone.  Thanks Julie !

Remember Boston.....


Boston will be coming to visit his Mom and Dad this weekend, so I will be sure to let everyone know how he has been making out with the new family he has adopted too. 

I had better pull the wool out here and get checking on how my day is going to be weatherwise before I proceed into it any further.

Today:

Becoming cloudy this morning. 30 percent chance of showers this afternoon. High 24. UV index 6 or high.
 
Tonight:
Cloudy. Clearing near midnight. Low 11.


Ummm 30 percent chance of showers, sure glad I did those four loads of laundry yesterday.

With a full house of company coming and going this weekend, I have lots to get done with keeping in mind to pace myself so I will be in reasonable shape to enjoy my company when they arrive.  Off and running once again, Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...